Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Software is driving me nuts

So I've done three updates to the website since my last blog post - one on the 14th, one on the 18th, and the last one just a little while ago.  Check out Recent Updates, General Updates and New Persons Added for all the details.  If you've been keeping an eye on the website, you'll know that I've been busy ironing out some issues I discovered.

Computers and software are wonderful ... except when they're not working right!  It's easy enough to make errors on my own without getting any assistance from my software.  First discovery was that a software glitch seemed to have changed the marriage roles for some couples from being brides and grooms to being ushers.  Seemed odd, but there weren't too many so I fixed them and moved on.  Until ...

Second discovery was that another glitch messed with marriage roles, affecting all people with more than one marriage. Long story short is that roles determine the sentence structures used in the narratives for people.  When the roles got changed, many folks had blank areas in their narratives followed by a citation footnote number.  This one took a lot longer to fix, but I think I've caught them all.  However, if you run across people with blank gaps where there should be info ... please shoot me an email with their name.

In addition to those bumps in the road, when I fired up my laptop on Monday morning, it gave me a message to the effect that Windows couldn't start. Talk about panic!

I didn't want to do a system restore, which was the first choice I was given.  Second choice was to let Windows try to repair itself, but that was unsuccessful.  Fortunately, when I tried booting up a second time, Windows did start slowly and eventually gave me a message that it had repaired itself.  Whew - what a relief!  

So I updated some of my backups just in case ... and I ran all kind of scans but found no issues ... and I crossed my fingers when I shut down the next time.  All seems to be ok now, but like I said at the beginning ...

Software is driving me nuts!

No comments: