Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Errors, errors, errors

Sometimes I think everyone from Marshall County is related to everyone else in Marshall County.  OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but it never ceases to amaze me when I find lines that connect in places where I never expected to see them connect.

Anyway, yesterday's post listed the new people I added to my website, including Allie (Briggs) Lydick.  I'm a member of a Lydick group on facebook - and reading through some of the comments I found that one of Allie's sisters was Emma (Briggs) Parks.

A light bulb went off as I knew I already had Emma in my database.  Emma married Judson Rossell "J. R." Parks, whose sister Mary Elizabeth "Maida" Parks married Uriah Sheridan Harris (commonly known by variations of his middle name).  Sheridan's parents were Uriah Harris and Mary Ann Lydick.  It's like running around in circles!!

So where does the title of this post fit in?  As I began researching Allie's sister Emma, I looked up her death certificate online and discovered that the death and burial info I had found some time ago from a couple other sources was incorrect. She died in March, not May, and was buried in the Fork Ridge Christian Cemetery, not the Fork Ridge Baptist Cemetery.  Sure enough, J. R.'s burial location was also wrong once I found his death certificate.

I have now corrected my database to reflect the info taken from online images of the death certificates for J. R. and Emma Parks.  Just goes to prove that you always have to confirm info that someone else has collected by tracking down original source documents and seeing them yourself ... an important lesson to always remember in the world of genealogy!

No comments: