Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fork Ridge Christian Church - Part 3

Our internet service was down all day yesterday ... but at least this time I have an excuse for being late with my post!

So far in this series, I've touched on my strong ties to the Fork Ridge Christian Church through my Harris and Kuhn lines and have included photos of some baptism records for them. As noted in Part 2, my Grandma Dess was an Aston who married a Harris. But as family goes, she's not the only Aston who went to church there. 

I also found the baptism record for Henry Aston – I believe this would be Charles Henry Aston, a son of Joseph “Joe” Aston and his first wife, Rosa “Rose” Henceroth: 

Henry Aston

Rose died following the birth of her second child, which led to Joe marrying his second wife, Mary Gertrude Ryan. Many of Joe and Gertrude's children and their descendants have been and/or are members of the Fork Ridge Christian Church. 

Joe was one of my Grandma Dess' older brothers – and their oldest sister was Ethel May Aston who married Spencer Lee Marshall. The next baptism record is for their daughter, Mary Idella Marshall:

Idella Marshall

I started this series with a couple of photos of the Fork Ridge Christian Church – one from 1938 and another one that showed the building after the vestibule was added. So I think I'll close it out with a couple more photos.
 

For comparison, here again is the photo from Part 1 that shows the vestibule … and if you look closely to the left of the steps, you can see the top of the door that goes into the basement. 


This photo I took on 04 September 2006 shows how the steps down to the basement door were closed in as well as the addition of a roof over the steps up to the vestibule. I don't know exactly when those additions were made – if you know, feel free to leave a comment. 

As I'm writing this post, I realize that I don't have a good photo of the wheelchair ramp that was built later. I do have this one taken from the back end of the cemetery in which a portion of the ramp can be seen. Like much of the work done at the church, the ramp was built my cousins – and they did a beautiful job if I say so myself. 


As I said when I started this series … I have very strong ties to the Fork Ridge Christian Church. When I go to the cemetery, it seems that the majority of those buried there are related to me one way or another. And of course, that's where Mom and Dad were buried too:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rev. Carl Eller has a good pic of the church with the ramp that he just posted on Facebook today.