Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fork Ridge Christian Church - Part 2

My Harris family has strong ties to the Fork Ridge Christian Church, as noted in yesterday's Part 1 post. But it's not just the Harris line … my Kuhn family has been connected to that church for many years. My grandparents, Herbert and Nellie (Church) Kuhn, bought their farm on Fork Ridge in the fall of 1929. I suspect they were already attending church there before Rev. Howearth's revival in 1932 resulted in 40+ new members.

Yesterday I posted three photos of baptism records for one Stewart and two Harris relatives who joined the Fork Ridge Christian Church in 1932. I ran across those records a few years back when I was at the church following a funeral, and the same aunt who wrote the church history I've been quoting let me scan them. I really appreciated that because one of them is for my mother who was baptized on 19 September 1936:

Louise Harris

Another is for one of my aunts … Mom's older sister:

Eva Mae Harris

Eva and Louise were the daughters of Dessie Harris whose baptism record appears in yesterday's blog post. Louise married Donald Glenn Kuhn, one of the sons of Herbert and Nellie mentioned in the first paragraph above. Dad's baptism record wasn't included with the ones I found, but I do have his actual Baptismal Certificate dated 17 October 1943. He was baptized by Rev. A. J. McCloy at the Cameron Christian Church as the Fork Ridge Christian Church doesn't have a baptistry.

As I think about this now, I'm not sure if all of the baptisms for Fork Ridge were performed at Cameron or if some of the earlier baptisms may have taken place somewhere else. Some quick internet research indicates that the First Christian Church in Moundsville is older than the Cameron church, so it's possible that some of the earliest baptisms may have occurred in Moundsville as the Cameron and Fork Ridge churches were both built in 1898.

Getting back to the records I scanned … two more were for Dad's older brothers:

Philip Kuhn

Dale Kuhn

In addition to my Harris and Kuhn ties to the Fork Ridge Christian Church, there's also a connection through my Aston line.  My grandmother, Dessie Aston who married Charles M. Harris, is the Dessie Harris from yesterday.  In addition to her, I found a few more Aston line baptism records that I'll post tomorrow.

But before signing off today, here's two more Stewart records.  Yesterday's post included Opal Stewart ... these are her younger brother and sister:

Homer Stewart, Jr.

Imogene Stewart
That's it for now!

----------
Continue on to Part 3

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I found your blog and would like to talk to you about Fork Ridge Baptist Church. Many of my family is buried there. Please contact me at tammygrimeshardy@gmail.com