Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Memories

Easter Sunday ... a new dress ... an Easter hat.  
When I was a little girl, these things went together.

Jo Ellen Kuhn - Easter 1960

Of course we always went to church on Sundays, but Easter was a little different.  Before church, there was the treat of an Easter basket! A big chocolate rabbit, little chocolate eggs, Reese's peanut butter eggs … is there anything better? Mom would hide some of those pull-apart plastic eggs around the house and I would search for them. In later years, I sometimes hid the eggs and my younger sister searched for them.

These are the things I associate with the Easters of my childhood, except for one year. When I was young, Mom was very sick – anytime she was in the hospital I would stay with her sister, my Aunt Eva Aston, who had three children of her own. Her daughter, Sue, was only two months older than me and we spent a lot of time together when we were young.

One Easter, Mom was in the hospital – so I was staying at Aunt Eva's. I don't remember how old we were at the time, but Sue and I received identical Easter baskets that included a little wind-up bunny that was covered with soft white fur. All was good until I wound mine up too tight and it stopped hopping. When I wanted to play with Sue's, she protested and Aunt Eva told me I had to play with my own even if it was broken. I laugh about this memory today – but I was fuming that Sunday. Life was frustrating for a little girl with a big temper!!

Happy Easter
just don't eat too much candy … 
and don't wind your bunny too tight!

No comments: