Friday, April 26, 2013

New Features

A genealogy software upgrade with new features gave me an excuse to take a break from my backwards review for a little play time.  Earlier this evening, I uploaded an update to my website that shows off some of these features.

The software now makes it a lot easier for me to create pull-down menus, so I added a Photographs button that includes links to photo pages for people by family lines, cemetery markers, places and buildings, and documents.  These pages were there before, but you can now get to them a little faster from any page.

I already had monthly calendars showing births, marriages and deaths separated by my primary lines:  Kuhn, Harris, Church and Aston.  The new Calendars button includes links to those four calendars as well as a link to the newest "Today in History" calendar, which includes all four lines on a day-by-day basis.

One more new feature is the expansion of the old Pop-Up Pedigree into what is now called the Family Explorer.  Many of the pages for individual persons included an image link that opened a pop-up window showing the parents and grandparents of that person in a pedigree format.  That image has been replaced by a new one that opens up a pop-up window that includes parents, siblings, spouses and children - hence the name Family Explorer!

I tried to include the two images for the old and new pedigree windows ... but Blogger won't let me add them right now.  Maybe later.  Using my grandfather's page, notice the red box underneath his name and above his parents - clicking that box will open his pedigree.

After a few more tweaks, I'll be resuming my backwards review.  Back to work!

No comments: