Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Henry "Old Hundred" Church

There is a historical marker in Hundred, Wetzel County, West Virginia, that explains how the town got its name:


My grandmother, Nellie (Church) Kuhn, always said she was a descendant of Henry Church, but it has taken me years to finally sort out what I believe the connection is.  I knew my grandmother's parents were Eli Church and Lenora Susan Summers ... I don't remember Eli, but I do remember my great-grandmother.  We have a reunion every September of descendants of Eli and Lenora at Grand Vue Park in Moundsville, WV - and it was at one of those that I first saw a photo of Eli's parents, William S. Church and Elizabeth "Betsy" Roberts.  I was one generation closer to the connection.

Through census records, I eventually confirmed William's parents, Samuel and Sarah Church.  Sarah's full name was Sarah Elizabeth Anderson per some researchers, but I don't like to accept facts until I have actually seen official source documentation myself.  Far too many researchers simply copy info they find on the internet without determining whether or not it is accurate ... and there is a LOT of incorrect info out there.

Since Samuel was born circa 1813, and Henry's lifespan was 1751 to 1860, it would have been possible for Samuel to be the final link.  However, Henry's wife, Hannah Keine (1754 to 1860), would have been around 60 in 1813, so I needed one more generation to close the gap.  At this point, I am left with the lineage that I have seen by several Church researchers, including some I know and whose research I trust.  They report that Samuel's parents were William Clark Church and Sally Cohen, with William being the oldest son of Henry and Hannah.  So, assuming these final links prove to be accurate, it looks like Grandma was right!!

3 comments:

azuroth said...

My name is Kristie Therriault and if you are related to Henry Church we are related, If you would like contact me at my email: therriaultk@ymail.com

Unknown said...

My name is austin church, i would like to learn more about my family tree, i have heard my whole life about henry old hundred church, i dont know if it would help but my fathers name is steve church, his father is jack church and im drawing a blank on his father but my father and his six siblings were born in west Virginia in the 40s, 50s, and 60s they traveled to alaska then montana but if you have like a family tree i would love to help make it bigger and see more of where i come from. Thank you distant relative.

Danny Roy Church Grandson×4 Henry Old Hundred Church said...

Henery is my great great grandfather