Saturday, April 28, 2018

Of Broken Links and Sources

L i n k s . . .

Just a quick note to say that the broken links that I wrote about three days ago have all been fixed.  Well ... maybe I should say that I believe they have all been fixed!  Bottom line is that this blog and my West Virginia Heritage website are in sync again.

However, if you do find a link in one of the older posts that doesn't work, please let me know so I can get it corrected.

S o u r c e s . . .

One thing I did note while I was going back through posts was that one of the older posts contained a link to a Sources page on the website - but I haven't had a Sources page online for quite some time.  At the end of each person's info you will find Citations giving a "short" version of my source.  The purpose of the old Sources page was to provide the "full" version of the source.

Why did I pull that page?  Well ... I noticed that there were a lot of discrepancies in how the full sources were appearing and I wanted to get them cleaned up.  Like I said, that was a while ago ... (make that a long while ago) ... and I sort of moved on to other things ... (make that forgot about working on the full sources).

Actually, I've done enough cleanup since then that those sources are probably much better than they used to be as the Citations (short versions) are in pretty good shape.  Well ... maybe I should say that I believe they are in pretty good shape.

The Citations on the website will give you a fair amount of detail about my sources, but I may have additional info about a given source - just send me an email using the link at the bottom of the website page you're viewing if you want to ask about a specific source.

The big hold-up on putting the full version of sources online again is that I know I need to update many that relate to census records.  I changed the way I recorded census info in my database a long time ago, but never finished making updates so that older entries would read correctly.  I have the info ... it just doesn't present well at this time. 

Looks like another job to add to my "to do" list (it keeps growing longer rather than getting shorter)!

No comments: