Thursday, June 16, 2011

Memories of Sue Ella (Aston) Chambers

A year ago today, my cousin passed away after a life that was far too short.  Sue was born 23 August 1955 in Glen Dale, West Virginia, and died 16 June 2010 in Suwanee, Georgia, at the young age of 54.  She had to deal with numerous health issues through the years, but she had a strong faith in God that carried her through.

When we were young, we spent a lot of time together - our mothers, Eva (Harris) Aston and Louise (Harris) Kuhn, were sisters and we only lived a few miles apart.  Aunt Eva's family, including her widowed mother, Dessie (Aston) Harris, lived on the Harris farm on Brushy Ridge where Aunt Eva and Mom where raised.

When Mom was very sick and sometimes in the hospital when I was young, I would stay with Aunt Eva.  (Earlier this year, I wrote about one Easter I spent there.)  Of course we visited there a lot even when Mom was healthy, so I have a lot of memories of times spent on the farm ...

Sue and I climbing into bed with Grandma Dess on the many nights I stayed with them.

"Driving" cars around on the toy room's lineoleum floor that had roads or streets (some details are just a little hazy now!) - the toy room was a small room off of Grandma Dess' bedroom.

Swinging in one of two swings that hung from a huge willow tree - a superb place for two little girls to play.

Spending time in the barn while the milking was done.

Riding Trigger, a black and white pony, while Sue lead him around the yard.

Riding the school bus and playing Authors with Sue's deck of cards.  I also remember that Sue carrying dolls (Barbie?) in a little red case to play with on the bus when we were in grade school.

Walking up and down the hillsides and all through the woods looking for wildflowers.  Sue and I had a school project for which we had to collect and dry wildflowers, and research the botanical info about them.

The memories go on and on ...

2 comments:

David Chambers said...

I remember the toy room though it had carpet over it one day Eva lifted up the carpet and showed me that the small bedroom once was a toy room.

Thanks,
Dave Chambers

paige atkinson knight said...

im pretty sure i lived in grandma dess's bedroom when me my dad my sister my brother and my mom (misty) lived there! i remembered the little room off the side i think the door was always closed i cant remember. i remember grandma always had a wood foundation brush that had like real hair for the brush part or something i would always sneak in her and pap cys room when he was outside!!