Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Barbary Elizabeth Harris

Today I want to share a copy of a handpainted portrait of Barbary Elizabeth "Bessie" Harris who died from fever when she was just a young teenager.  She was born in 1858 to Uriah and Mary Ann (Lydick) Harris and died 21 December 1871 per her death register entry -  her recorded age was 13 years, 7 months.

Barbary E. Harris

Barbary's death at such a young age prompted her brother, Alfred, to write a song entitled, "Mother, do not weep for Bessie" which can be found online as part of The Library of Congress American Memory collection.

I haven't seen her gravestone personally, but did receive a copy from Glen Harris that shows that the stone is quite weathered.  Using Paint Shop Pro to look at it with a variety of effects, I believe it reads:

BARBARY E.

Daughter of

URIAH & M A HARRIS

DIED

Dec 21, 1871

Aged 13 Yrs.

8 Ms. 5 Ds.
______

Questions I've not yet resolved include the discrepancy between the death register and Barbary's gravestone as to her exact age; and her full birth date.  The date I originally found of 26 February 1858 for her birth does not compute with either of the ages when coupled with a death of 21 December 1871.  I have yet to locate Barbary's birth record ... that would certainly be helpful!

I did find a second death register entry for B. E. Harris, daughter of Uriah and Mary A. Harris, with a date of death as 22 December 1871; but her gravestone definitely does not say the 22nd, so I'm presuming that this register simply reflects a clerical error.

If you have information that can clear up my questions about Barbary, I hope you'll contact me.  Also, if you would like a larger copy of this photo, let me know ... it has beautiful detail.

No comments: