Monday, June 29, 2015

Source Errors Fixed

Sometimes fixing something is a whole lot easier than figuring out what needs fixed!  

I discovered a number of errors on the Sources page for my website where the code for a particular piece of info was appearing rather than the actual info.

A couple examples:
  • [DWELLING NO.] would appear rather than the actual dwelling number for a census year
  • [STATE FILE NO.] would appear rather than the actual State file number from a death certificate.
It took me a while to notice that all of the codes ended with "NO."  It appears that using an abbreviation for "number" rather than spelling it out created havoc.  So the fix was really easy once I figured out what was happening. Yay!

I'll probably find more issues with the sources, but this was a huge step forward.  See me smiling???